In 1872, with the huge demand
from the farmers in the area for artificial manures, two corn millers, Clark
and Ganham, set up their own manufacturing works in
the village. They converted their mills for crushing bones and coprolites (SCRO.
HA 38/2/76-90) Unfortunately no records have emerged
which showed where they were making their purchases from but there were scores
of workings in the parishes along the