Back to coprolite publications



The only documented record of a coprolite working in the parish was in 1874 when reference was made to one Wood and Harmer's geological paper. It was three quarters of a mile northeast of the church. Who was responsible is unknown but it seems most likely that, as in other parishes, the tenant engaged their labourers to raise the fossils and they would have been sold at a royalty to one of the coprolite contractors. The tenant then paid the landlord a proportion of the revenue. (Wood,S.V. and Harmer, F.W., (1877), ‘Later Tertiary Geology of East Anglia', Quart.Journ.Geol.Soc. vol.xxxiii., p75)