Not far from the coprolite pits at Waldringfield the same bed of phosphatic nodules was found in the vicinity of Martlesham. When they started is unknown but a Mr Wood's geological report of the area from 1877 suggests they were in operation in the 1870s. He noted a coprolite works about a mile south of the Church and included a sketch shown on page .. (Wood, (1877), Quart.Journ. Geol. Soc. xxxiii, p.75) On the west of the road, about three quarters of a mile south of the Church another coprolite working was noted. (Whitaker, "Geology of Ipswich Etc." Mem.Geol.Surv., (1885) p.65.) Who was responsible has not been determined.