Mid-war housing in St Neots
From 1922 to 1925 St Neots Town Council bought land east of the town towards the railway to erect houses for rent in Cromwell Gardens, Cambridge Gardens, and Ferrars Avenue.
In the 1930s more council housing was built along Potton Road in Eynesbury and in the Crescent area of St Neots.
Council houses provided affordable one-, two- and three-bedroomed housing with gardens. Rents had to be paid weekly to the rent office in the Council Offices.
Some landowners in St Neots, Eaton Ford, Eynesbury and Eaton Socon sold land to builders for private housing. Only a few people were able to afford the £200 - £300 for a new house.
Traffic increased dramatically after the First World War. Mass-production allowed manufacturers to build more cars, motor cycles and bikes on assembly lines instead of being hand-built. As a result people were prepared to live further away from their place of work and cycle everyday.
(Young, R. (1996) St Neots Past, Phillimore, p.114)